Hosted by our Academic Head this 60 minute seminar will address:
How scaling works
Effects of scaling
Consider scaling when choosing your subjects
Which level of English should I choose?
Math or No Math?
Looking for some extra help with your HSC preparation and subject selection?
STEM vs Humanities
How do I choose the right subjects to maximise my ATAR in my HSC?
Understand the rules
When you choose your subjects, it’s important to understand the rules about completing the HSC and getting an ATAR.
You must satisfactorily complete:
- a preliminary (Year 11) pattern of study that includes at least 12 units
- an HSC (Year 12) pattern of study that includes at least 10 units.
In both years you must include at least:
- 6 units of Board Developed courses
- 2 units of a Board Developed course in English
- three courses of 2 or more units (either Board Developed or Board Endorsed Courses)
- four subjects.
Confused about HSC ‘subjects’ and ‘courses’?
A subject is an HSC area of study (eg mathematics). Within that subject there may be a number of courses (eg Mathematics Standard 2, Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2). If a student studies, for example, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, English Advanced, English Extension 2 and Biology they will not meet the four subjects requirement because they have only studied three subjects: Mathematics, English and Biology.
To check all the ins and outs of completing the HSC, go to the NESA website.
The ATAR rules are slightly different to the HSC rules. This is to make sure that students who intend to go on to uni are well prepared for the demands of tertiary study.
To be eligible for an ATAR in NSW, you must satisfactorily complete at least 10 units of HSC courses. These ATAR courses must include at least:
- 8 units from Category A courses
- 2 units of English
- three Board Developed courses of 2 units or greater
- four subjects.
Find out everything you need to know about the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank.
Options for English, maths and languages
English: You must complete at least 2 units of English. You can choose one of the following options:
- English Studies (2 units: Category B)
- English Standard (2 units)
- English Advanced (2 units)
- English Advanced + English Extension 1 (3 units)
- English Advanced + English Extension 1 + Eng Ext 2 (4 units)
Mathematics: You can choose one of the following options:
- Mathematics Standard 1 (2 units: Category B)
- Mathematics Standard 2 (2 units)
- Mathematics Advanced (2 units)
- Mathematics Advanced + Mathematics Extension 1 (3 units)
- Mathematics Extension 1 + Mathematics Extension 2 (4 units)
Languages: You can choose a Beginners course or a Continuers course, but not both.
Give us a ring on 1300 879 098 or email us at email@example.com